Sunday, August 7, 2011

Grow Tomatos As Big As Your Face?


Yesterday morning Greg and I drove to the west side of town to go to see a lady about a tomato...oh wait a minute I meant to say see a lady about growing a tomato. Greg has a veggie garden out in our back yard and grows all sorts of things and for the most part it always goes pretty well. This year one of my new students told us about this lady here in town that is a test gardener....meaning she does all sorts of growing
tests for the local nursery's. She also holds gardening classes in her back yard where you can see all her beautiful veggies growing. I'm not into all that dirt stuff but even I found it pretty interesting.
Here's a little background on her:

If it's hot where you live, our new method combined with our super heat tolerant tomato variety may very well work for you.
Because, when it comes to growing tomatoes in high summer heat, , , It's different, , , way, way different."


Since 1995 The Sweet Tomato Test Garden has continually tested new seed varieties, methods of growing tomatoes and products in our desert garden, always looking to improve the growing method, tomato quality and size of the harvest for desert gardeners.

The combination of growing method and tomato variety I discovered now applies to the tomatoes we grow for our own table, my improved growing method is used for our trial tomato varieties. We assume; if our successful method does not produce lots of big tomatoes in our test beds then it is the fault of the tomato variety being unable to set in our desert heat.
If I can do it,
You can do it !

Leslie 2003
Picked July/Aug in Hot
Las Vegas, Nevada

Read what others are saying:
New Jersey Championship Tomato Weigh-In
Yes, this is not very scientific and we have no microscopes or laboratory. What we do have is a continuous supply of big tomatoes during the summer. So, I leave it to the biologists and horticulturists to work this over. I am just a humble Master Gardener searching for ways all of us can grow lots of big tomatoes in the hot desert.
As you travel around our site you will find desert gardening information, articles, a place for your tomato photos and recipes, plus wonderful products that will help you have a better garden in the hot desert.
For the real scoop on growing tomatoes in the desert be sure to order our book, "Growing the Tomato in Las Vegas in Terrible Dirt and Desert Heat." It was written after years of research and tells you what we finally found out to insure picking lots of tasty, big tomatoes in the hot desert.
If you live in a hot climate other than the desert, my method may very well work for you.
Leslie Doyle


Oh and one more thing .....her home is on Sheila Street just off Jones ...I had to take this photo, I have a sister named Sheila



3 comments:

  1. I hope Greg is successful...who knew that tomatoes that look that great came from here?!! Certainly not my grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Greg share? I will pay-I don't have the patience to do what this person does but I hope that your husband does!

    There is nothing better than great home-grown tomatoes, and when I used to travel to Phillie in the summer, I used to buy tomatoes at the farmer's market across from the Convention Center, wrap them in bubble wrap, and hand carry them on the plane-oh, how we enjoyed those!

    Tell Greg that I will just settle for one tomato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! We have a huge back yard here in AZ, I loved having vegetable gardens growing up, but didn't think it was possible here in the heat. I may just have to get me one started next summer! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete